Hello kids, from the City of Brotherly Love :P I miss you all a lot (and I am, in fact, ready to admit that). Anyways, I started classes about 2 weeks ago, with a week of orientation before then. I really had no expectations going in. Actually, I was pretty much just scared out of my mind. But thus far classes have been pretty manageable. There's a lot of material, but I've forced myself to develop better study habits (still, however, making time for Twilight). Jefferson operates on a Block Schedule. So we only concentrate on one or two subjects at a time. Right now I'm in the middle of Block 1, which is 12 weeks of Human Form and Development (Anatomy and Embryology). We just had our first exam Friday (yikes!). Let's hope I passed! Labs have been really interesting. I'm also enjoying our Intro to Clinical Medicine Course where we are learning to interview patients. I just hope that I can learn to grow bolder and more confident.
Enough about school though. The people here are great. I've been able to grow closer to my cousin while meeting lots of new people as well. Everyone is brilliant, I feel so insignificant :P But, there's definitely a strong sense of community. People are so eager to study together and share guides. Even though our class is big, it's nice to know that everyone wants to help each other succeed.
I started going to Catholic Mass at St. John's with some friends I've met here at school. I really struggled this summer with deciding whether or not the Catholic Church was right for me. But, I have really enjoyed Mass and I think being a part of a new parish has given me a renewed appreciation for the church. Today was my first time attending the Young Adult Mass, which is only held every other week. Mass was full of students and young professionals from all over Philly. I felt a strong sense of fellowship that I missed this summer attending Mass back home.
Anyways, I must admit that as great as the people are here, I still feel homesick from time to time. This is the first time that I've ever spent an extended period of time away from my friends and family. I think the person I miss the most has got to be Rooney. While I try to make time to talk to her, it's been really difficult. We've been video-chatting or talking on the phone--but I miss having her a 15 minute drive away, or right down the green-line. I'm excited to return to Boston for Labor Day to visit people-- I just hope that it won't make me miss Boston even more when I have to return to school.
So prayer requests: Focus and confidence in school, allowing me to break down my walls and grow closer to the people here at school, for God to give me a heart for this city, and for God to assuage my homesickness.
I hope that all is going well for everyone! Sorry for such a long post....I'm glad we're doing this. It's nice to hear about what's going on in everyone's life. <3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You can admit that you miss us . . . how far you have come.
ReplyDeleteJust kidding.
Or half kidding?