Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Jumping Off-track

Yesterday, on my commute home, I was riding the F train to Jamaica when our train was "momentarily delayed" at 169th St. One stop from my departure. Several minutes passed, then the conductor's voice came back on with the same message.

-Ladies and gentlemen, we are momentarily delayed.

Five minutes later...

-We are being held at the station. A man has jumped off the tracks.

The doors snapped shut and stayed shut. We could not leave. I was sitting wedged between a young guy and girl, both with their headphones on. The guy's head was arched down, lolling around precariously next to my shoulder. The girl immediately yanked her headphones off when she heard the overhead speakers.

-Won't they let us out so we can take a bus? We're trapped.

Murmurs of confusion flitted through the subway. It was sad that the first thing we thought was, what an inconvenience.

Rather than - why did the guy jump off the track? Was he desperate? Daring? Stupid? Depressed?

What leads people to commit such spontaneous acts? Or maybe it wasn't spontaneous at all...I guess I'll never know. No further word from the conductor.

I'm just glad MY conductor knows what's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment