I was reading this blog entry by Jaeson Ma, and he basically articulated what I already had in mind concerning this topic: How Men Should Love & Respect Women.
Thoughts? Do you agree or disagree with his assessment, and how do you view the topic of men (and women) of God today?
It's too bad that all these things aren't already obvious to most men nowadays. Especially in the areas of leading and integrity. Oh and courage too.
I do wonder about female reactions to some of these pillars. I think I'll pose my thoughts in question form.
Do you really want us (men) to lead? If we make a decision that you think is wrong, would you follow anyway? And I'm not saying decisions would be made without talking it out and listening and all that. But if in the end there's no agreement, would you still follow us? For example, husband and wife both want careers. All is fine until children comes along. Wife wants to keep career and take care of children but husband believes wife should primarily stay home and take care of children. Follow along in this decision or not?
How about stay-at-home dads? And not because they're bums who can't find work. The wife is working while the husband takes care of children. The man's not providing financially so does that make him less of a man?
And how do you define adventure? I think we have to be careful here because working a 9-5 job to provide for your family doesn't seem too adventurous. (But I definitely agree that a man should have purposes and missions in life and should be living courageously.)
I wish we had a more effective forum for discussing this (i.e. face-to-face interaction or at least vocal communication). Ah well.
It's too bad that all these things aren't already obvious to most men nowadays. Especially in the areas of leading and integrity. Oh and courage too.
ReplyDeleteI do wonder about female reactions to some of these pillars. I think I'll pose my thoughts in question form.
Do you really want us (men) to lead? If we make a decision that you think is wrong, would you follow anyway? And I'm not saying decisions would be made without talking it out and listening and all that. But if in the end there's no agreement, would you still follow us? For example, husband and wife both want careers. All is fine until children comes along. Wife wants to keep career and take care of children but husband believes wife should primarily stay home and take care of children. Follow along in this decision or not?
How about stay-at-home dads? And not because they're bums who can't find work. The wife is working while the husband takes care of children. The man's not providing financially so does that make him less of a man?
And how do you define adventure? I think we have to be careful here because working a 9-5 job to provide for your family doesn't seem too adventurous. (But I definitely agree that a man should have purposes and missions in life and should be living courageously.)
I wish we had a more effective forum for discussing this (i.e. face-to-face interaction or at least vocal communication). Ah well.