Monday, January 4, 2010

Isaiah 49:16

"See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me." ~Isaiah 49:16

What does that mean? "Your walls are ever before me."

4 comments:

  1. The short answer is that the walls that the verse refers to are the walls of Zion. So I think this is another way of saying "I am always thinking of Zion".

    From Wikipedia:

    "The term Zion came to designate the area of Jerusalem where the fortress stood, and later became a metonym for Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem, the city of Jerusalem and the entire Promised Land to come, in which, according to the Hebrew Bible, God dwells among his chosen people."

    Side note: Not related to your question but the first part of that verse struck me as being prophetic of the nails in Jesus' hands at his crucifixion. Might be taken out of context but it's a cool way to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere else that the walls of Jerusalem are a symbol of safety. what then does it mean? "i'm always thinking about your safety"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't believe so.

    The walls of the a city are what symbolized safety and security to its people. But I don't think God is telling his people that he's always thinking about the city's fortifications.

    However, as someone just pointed out to me, God might be using the imagery of walls on purpose evoking a sense of God saying, "I will protect you."

    In previous verses, it seems that Zion believes that God has forgotten her. I think the verse you refer to is God's way of telling the people of Israel, "You're wrong. I will never forget you."

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! That makes so much more sense now...

    ReplyDelete