Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Year's End

WARNING: For those of you who don't like to read . . . sorry. Kind of.

It's kind of weird to think that this is the last month of the decade. The last time this sort of thing happened, I don't think I realized it. In fact, being a kid I wouldn't have cared too much. Also, I remember something called Y2K being discussed very often.

If you think about it a bit, this was an interesting decade for us. We grew up (well, most of us and to an extent). We graduated. Twice. (Hm, thrice counting middle school?) Some of us even entered the working world. (Not as exciting as the above but it is a milestone I guess.) And among the highlights of the decade . . . we met each other! (I can already imagine the eyes rolling. Especially from he-with-whom-I-used-to-share-a-room.)

Now I would ask how the decade went for you guys . . . but that is way too much time for a simple blog post or response. But this post has to go somewhere. So I'll settle with asking how the year went. The last year of the first decade of the 21st century . . .

The first half of the year (last half of senior year) was pretty fun (minus classes, studying, homework and such . . . well the little that I did anyhow). It was good to graduate and finally leave school behind. At least for a little bit. Going home to live with my parents kind of sucked. Ok. Lie. It really sucked. Loss of independence coupled with the realization that I might be here for quite a bit. Those parts sucked the most.

Now life without school looked grand from the other side. I should have realized the reality would be a bit more . . . complex. First, there was a little thing called paid work that must be undertaken if you want to live. But there was also a little thing called a recession going on. For me, that meant waiting about six months to get my first (part time) job out of school. Lots of brain-racking, soul-searching, vegetating, and, ultimately, praying for an answer to the question, "What do I do with my life?"

Not surprisingly, no definite answers yet. But from all this there is one thing I've learned. And quite recently too. It seems that we Christians like to ask the question "What is God's will for my life?" a lot. A whole lot. But precious few get answers . . . when we want them. It was recently pointed out to me that a better question to ask would be "What is God's will for my life today?" Focusing on later gives us an excuse to not doing anything now. But asking the Holy Spirit about this relationship, that sinful habit, the attitude I took with my parents an hour ago, etc. is a lot harder. But arguably a lot more useful. And probably more in line with God's will for our lives now.

I guess it's something to work on for the years ahead.

Oh and you guys remember that IT class I told you about? Well they called me about half an hour ago. It seems that my class starts this Friday (12/18). Wasn't expecting that. But this means no more (at least less) work at Rite Aid. Hurrah!

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. Definitely like the "What is God's will for my life today?" question. But in terms of God's will for our lives... maybe it's a lot more simple than we make it out to be. Maybe it's simply 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.

    I really want to do a reflection. But I don't feel far enough from present things to really process. but God has been so good!

    ReplyDelete