It seems the Chinese themselves can't even tell you.
“There is no ideology in China anymore.” - Zhang Ming, a professor of political science at Renmin University in Beijing
Today, China celebrates its 60th year of Communist rule.
What do you think America's ideology is? (i.e. What values and ideals do we stand for?) Have we been successful at keeping patriotism alive? Is that even a good thing??
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
America's values:
ReplyDelete* democracy - right to vote, run for office no matter who you are as long as you are competent and qualified
* individualism - way of living where you believe you can do it all by yourself
* freedom - press, religious expression, etc., etc.
* materialism (& consumerism) - searching for fulfillment in what we can physically buy and obtain
* equality - not that every man and woman is equal (side note: that is false) but that we should all have the same opportunities (that would be ideal, I don't think it really happens)
That is a short list. I have no doubt that there is more to add and that America's values would be seen differently all over this country.
We are patriotic sometimes (after 9/11). Is it part of our lives? I don't think so. Is that good? I don't know. I bet other parts of the country are more patriotic than others though.