Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Change of Direction

This is a Life Update.

So after giving it much thought, I don't think I can go on the Coachella trip (and it's not just because my dad thinks it's a waste of money...).

These past few days have been spent praying and mulling over my life's trajectory and what exactly I should be doing with my life. I've been seriously considering going back to school or enrolling in some kind of certification program.

As you may or may not be aware, I've been looking into the Tourism/Travel Industry, Hospitality Management and most recently, Web Design. I'm still in the process of sorting out this information, but Web Design is looking mighty good right now as a potentially viable job. Since every major (and minor) business these days has to have a website, it stands to reason that there's a high demand for web designers, no? In any case, I have to stop being the armchair idealist-journalist and be practical when it comes to my future.

And since Plan B (Marry Rich) seems improbable (I didn't say impossible - but I'm not waiting around to find out, haha), I know that God has put a restless spirit within me for a reason: to spur me on to action. I'm currently stuck in a dead-end retail job that causes my stress levels to skyrocket almost every day, dealing with unusual hours, long stretches of standing up and manual labor (I still clean bathrooms and sweep. the. entire. store. BOO).

I knew it was the last straw when my manager said:

"Make sure you do as good a job with sweeping as you did yesterday."

My supervisor commented snidely:

"What are you doing working here, Sarah?"

(laughs)

"You should be a janitor at some high-end place."

~.~

I kid you not.

Recently, I've been reading the passage in James 1:5-6 that talks about asking God for wisdom when you're facing uncertainty. And again that same theme in Luke 11:9-13: ASK and you shall receive...but you have to ask in faith and trust that God will provide! I mean, you can't just shoot out the answer without even listening properly for a response, or merely "hope" things will turn out OK. That's not trusting - there's still an element of doubt in that kind of thinking. And, like James 1:6 says, anyone who doubts is like "a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be an indecisive person who runs on a battery called doubt and fear. That just doesn't jive well with me.

All things considered, I think a vacation will have to wait until I make this major life decision. It's equally nerve-wracking as it is exhilarating thinking about future possibilities. Please keep me in your prayers! And, of course, let me know what I can pray for you about.

2 comments:

  1. praying for you, Sarah my dear <3 I truly believe that even if He isn't showing you exactly what your path looks like immediately right now, He for sure knows the plans that He has for you, which are plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you hope and a future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kristal! It means a lot to me. =]

    ReplyDelete